RE: [HACKERS] Data type removal

From: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, David Gould <dg(at)illustra(dot)com>
Cc: geek+(at)cmu(dot)edu, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Data type removal
Date: 1998-03-24 22:56:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, David Gould wrote:
>
> > What is the motivation for data type removal?
>
> 	There appear to be two "motivations" from what I'm hearing:
>
> 	1. reduced memory footprint
> 	2. reduced "disk" footprint
	3. modularization (In my experience, that in and of itself is a
benefit.)
	3a. Encapsulation
	3b. Re-Organization (isn't always a bad thing)

I haven't looked at enough of the postgres code to be anything even, in
any small way, an expert, but I have found that having someone approach
a problem from a new perspective, when viewed with an open mind is never
detrimental.  So I for one would like to see what Darren comes up with,
could be very useful even if it isn't for what he originally intends.

	Just my $0.01 ( I can no longer afford a full $0.02)
		-DEJ

Next:From: Michal MosiewiczDate: 1998-03-24 23:01:14
Subject: Patch 6.3-6.3.1 wrong?