Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Create a GUC parametertemp_tablespacesthat allows selection of

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Create a GUC parametertemp_tablespacesthat allows selection of
Date: 2007-06-05 15:14:30
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

--On Montag, Juni 04, 2007 15:34:14 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
wrote:

> The reason I'm thinking per-transaction is that we could tie this to
> setting up a cached list of tablespace OIDs, which would avoid the
> overhead of repeat parsing and tablespace validity checking. We had
> rejected using a long-lived cache because of the problem of tablespaces
> getting dropped, but I think one that lasts only across a transaction
> would be OK.

Hmm i tried an allocated oid list in TopMemoryContext per backend, but i
didn't find any issue with that... What's the reason we cannot work with a
long-living cache during backend lifetime?

Dropping a tablespace caused get_tablespace_name() to return an InvalidOid
and the tablespace selection code to switch to $PGDATA/pgsql_tmp...

--
Thanks

Bernd