Re: [HACKERS] Interval aggregate regression failure

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Interval aggregate regression failure
Date: 2006-09-01 11:01:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sep 1, 2006, at 11:03 , Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am unclear about this report. The patch was not meant to fix every
> interval issue, but merely to improve multiplication and division
> computations. Does it do that? I think the 23:60 is a time rounding
> issue that isn't covered in this patch. I am not against fixing
> it, but
> does the submitted patch improve things or not? Given we are
> post-feature freeze, we don't have time to fix all the interval
> issues.

Your patch doesn't fix the things Tom referenced (nor did you intend
it to). I just wanted to to collect examples of all the known issues
with the interval code in one place. Probably too ambitious for
September 1.

Is it worth looking into the overflow and subtraction issues for 8.2?
It seems to me they're bugs rather than features. Or are these 8.3
since it's so late?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net