Pg_dumpall problem

From: James Hall <James(dot)Hall(at)RadioShack(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Pg_dumpall problem
Date: 2002-10-16 16:16:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I am trying to backup my database with pg_dumpall.

When I try to execute the dump command, I get the following result:
---
postgres(at)rspde data]$ pg_dumpall > 101602.out
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
Password: xxxx <------- I enter the password for
postgres user here
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Password: xxxx <-------- prompted again for
postgres password, password entered again
Connection to database '' failed.
fe_sendauth: no password supplied

pg_dump failed on , exiting
postgres(at)rspde data]$
---

My pg_hba.conf is pretty simple -
local all password
host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 password

Only other thing to note is I am connecting to the server with Postgres via
a Telnet connection.

Any help in figuring this problem out would be appreciated!

Thank you,
-jim