Re: PgAdmin Bug: using verly large varchar (binary Data) -> always Crash when viewing Table

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <jan(dot)dwinger(at)asinteractive(dot)de>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PgAdmin Bug: using verly large varchar (binary Data) -> always Crash when viewing Table
Date: 2005-07-07 08:17:41
Lists: pgadmin-support

________________________________

	From: pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of
jan(dot)dwinger(at)asinteractive(dot)de
	Sent: 06 July 2005 12:36
	To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
	Subject: [pgadmin-support] PgAdmin Bug: using verly large
varchar (binary Data) -> always Crash when viewing Table

	using verly large varchar (binary Data) -> always Crash when
viewing Table

	store 10 kb Files with bin2hex into varchar Column, 100 rows

	then try to look the Table, sometimes it works, sometimes mouse
graphics destroyed,sometimes Windows GUI destroyed.
	try to scroll the Table or resize Windows or Cells, its crash
sometimes.

	Crash -> cannot use Mouse or Keyboard, but Applikation in
Windows work fine. look like freezes
	Crash -> Graphiccard stopped, no Screen, Monitor/TTF goes
offline

	but never Bluescreen Crash !!!!

	all Version tested 1.0  / 1.1 / 1.2 / 1.3 and lasted Version
from 19-Jun-2005

First off, please bear in mind that the table viewer simply isn't
designed for viewing such large amounts of data - if you need to view
very large tables, you should use the view filtered data option and
select only the rows you actually need. That said, it shouldn't really
crash...

As I test, I just inserted 2000 rows containing a serial column and
124Kb of bin2hex output each into a table (by my reckoning, that's
around 250MB of data. The table viewer worked without crashing,
displaying all 2000 rows in around 10 seconds. Thats with pgAdmin and
the server running on the same 2GHz laptop running XP Pro. I then did
the same again with 60 rows of 300Kb each - again that worked, although
it was horrendously slow that time.

What sort of hardware are you running on? What OS?

Regards, Dave.

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2005-07-07 14:25:59
Subject: Re: Runtime error on Redhat 9.0