Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Gevik Babakhani" <gevik(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.
Date: 2005-06-09 07:20:25
Lists: pgsql-www

All the work is currently being done by people that know HTML so
initially that is all the support that is required, however in the
longterm this will definitely be useful.

> There
> are quite a
> number of tools that allow people to use WYSWYG editors in content
> management, WebDAV using OpenOffice.org, etc. If you
> require formatted HTML
> and CVS uploads, you won't get any contributions.

We don't want end users directly adding content anyway. At the moment
they simply mail it to us and one of us (invariably Robert) adds it to
techdocs.

Aside from the editorial issues of allowing users to submit stuff
directly (which could be handled as we do the doc comments I guess), we
also need to ensure that whatever is added is compliant XHTML 1.0
Strict. That might be difficult if we allow any old webdav tool to
connect and edit data.

> To that end, there are a number of existing content
> management engines you
> could start with. For one, Gavin Roy of our WWW team is
> building Framewerk,
> a PHP+Postgres easy CMS. I think it would be a *lot* easier
> for you to add
> search functions to his code than to do your own from scratch.

We have a search engine. No need to reinvent that.

/D