Re: query runtime guru hint

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,"pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query runtime guru hint
Date: 2005-04-25 18:21:26
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: pgadmin-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org on behalf of Andreas Pflug
Sent: Mon 4/25/2005 5:59 PM
To: pgadmin-hackers
Subject: [pgadmin-hackers] query runtime guru hint

> RFC:
> Taken from the recent discussion on pgsql-performance, I added the
> requirement to have a guru hint for long query runtimes. Now I got a
> good question to ask:
> whatsalongruntime? >10s? >300ms? ...

Good question. 10 seconds sounds good to me - we want the message to get across, and it's not like you can't disable that one hint.

> Is this a guru hint topic at all, or more a doc/faq topic? Though
> annoying users with guru popups might prevent people from flooding the
> lists with questions answered in the faqs.

Yes, I think so - especially given Tom's observation about the query times in pgAdmin. I think a hint, and a paragraph in the docs explaining exactly how the timings work is appropriate.

Regards, Dave

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: OpenMacNewsDate: 2005-04-26 01:39:32