Re: Not wanting to throw a wrench in things

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL www" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not wanting to throw a wrench in things
Date: 2004-12-20 22:02:57
Lists: pgsql-www

Ahh, I see. Some do have a banner - Marc should be able to tell us how
many exactly. I suspect it's about 10 - 20%.

> O.k. well let me rephrase. They don't have to have a banner.
> I am not saying they shouldn't get a link. Heck it can even
> be a larger text link :).
>
> Also, let me be specific here. My complaint is with paid
> banners mostly. They seem completely unneeded. If we want
> to leave banners to those who contribute then I would not
> raise a fuss.

I believe most of them are the freebies. I'm not adverse to losing the
ads altogether, but I do think we should credit the mirrors in a visible
way (ie. Not one specific page). On the mirror selection page, or a
per-mirror footnote seem the best options.

> >That's a possibility. How badly will it muck up the
> formatting though?
> >

> Well it goes out as the last thing in a page so as long as
> we supply a template for the footer it should be really easy.

Assuming they *all* implement it. If some don't (which will probably be
the case) we'll be left with some broken HTML.

> Hey -- what if I can convince them to donate one of their
> appliances? We would get the google engine and we could make
> it look any way we want and index as much as we want?

If you can persuade them to do that then I would be most impressed :-)

However, what problems do you have with the current search?

Regards, Dave.