Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, rsmogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache
Date: 2011-03-24 19:36:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 23, 2011, at 5:12 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It looks like the only way anything can ever get put on the free list
>> right now is if a relation or database is dropped. That doesn't seem
>> too good.
>
> Why not? AIUI the free list is only for buffers that are totally dead,
> ie contain no info that's possibly of interest to anybody. It is *not*
> meant to substitute for running the clock sweep when you have to discard
> a live buffer.

Turns out we've had this discussion before: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-12/msg01088.php and http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-12/msg00689.php

Tom made the point in the first one that it might be good to proactively move buffers to the freelist so that backends would normally just have to hit the freelist and not run the sweep.

Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to do any performance testing of any of this... perhaps someone else can try and measure the amount of time spent by backends running the clock sweep with different shared buffer sizes.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net