Re: [INTERFACES] libpq++ ---- PgDatabase instance problem

From: "Patrick Welche" <prlw1(at)newn(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: inkle99(at)yahoo(dot)com (inkle c)
Cc: prlw1(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] libpq++ ---- PgDatabase instance problem
Date: 1999-08-20 14:04:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
inkle c wrote:

> Well, this is where the problem comes because PgDatabase() is a
> protected constructor, myclass doesn't inherit from PgDatabase. In
> simple words:
> class myclass {
>     public:
>            myclass();
>     private:
>            PgDatabase db;
> }
>
> myclass::myclass():db(NULL){
> some-other-stuff-goes-here
> };
> the above codes causes me trouble as I described
> below, any ideas how to fix it? I also tried
> PgDatabase db as a global variable and init it to
> be NULL, but this causes the same problem.

As far as I remember if you send NULL, you are saying that
the string that PgDatabase uses is empty rather than being say
"dbname=test", and that it should try to connect ?using defaults?,
whereas if you just db(), you are saying, this instance isn't
initialised, create it, but don't connect. I'm afraid I can't
UTSL at the moment...

Cheers,

Patrick