Re: [BUGS] Integrity check

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "David Fetter *EXTERN*" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Prasad, Venkat" <venkat(dot)prasad(at)credit-suisse(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Integrity check
Date: 2009-06-24 08:55:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

David Fetter wrote:
> > Please can you assist on following questions.
>
> This is an issue for pgsql-general, where I'm redirecting this.
> >
> > * do you any tool to check postgreSQL database integrity check?
>
> No more than Oracle does. We get it right in the first place. The
> existence of "integrity checking" tools means the DBMS is done with
> high incompetence.

What about VACUUM VERBOSE?
Pre 8.4, it will touch every block and get problems if
the block contains garbage.
>From 8.4 on, maybe a VACUUM FULL is necessary.

Of course this will not check stuff the integrity of
foreign key constraints, but it should detect most block
corruptions, right?

> > * how do we confirm that dump file is proper data?
>
> See above.

How about "restore the dump and look if there are errors"?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe