Re: Migrating mdw'ed MSAccess Database

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <barliant(at)duabelas(dot)net>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Migrating mdw'ed MSAccess Database
Date: 2002-08-13 09:49:25
Lists: pgadmin-support

Oh. It should handle Access 2000 & XP OK. In fact I test it using the
Access XP versions of biblio.mdb & northwind.mdb.

> > No, you normally don't. Unfortunately I know very little
> about Access
> > security, but could this problem be caused by pgAdmin not using the
> > correct MDW file (this an item on my ToDo list)?
> >
> > To work round it for now, can you remove all security from
> your copy
> > of the database just whilst you migrate it?
>
> Well, you know that sometimes when you asking question to
> someone then the answer comes to our mind? It happened to me
> now.

Happens to me all the time. I guess sorting it out in your mind to write
it down well helps you understand it a little better.

> I figured out that the database I tried to migrate has
> AutoExec macro which run automatically a form. I drop the
> AutoExec, and successfully migrate it to PostgreSQL.
>
> However, I have two Access DB which has this AutoExec stuff,
> and I still have a problem with the other one. At this point
> I confused. I took the same step with the previous one but it
> still can't be migrated to PostgreSQL.

Can you use the Access Export facility to export the tables and their
data to an external mdb file and migrate from there? A colleague & I did
that the other day when the security on an original file got messed up
and we needed to modify the schema. The resultant file contained no
security at all so we could hack t as we pleased.

Regards, Dave