Re: Stable Release?

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stable Release?
Date: 2008-02-21 21:13:09
Lists: pgsql-admin
I appreciate all your comments.  I knew I'd be opening a kettle of
fish with the question.  I have been all over the postgres site but I
didn't feel I got a straight -forward answer to my question.  When I
had read the docs and still didn't know the answer, I went to you
guys for a definitive answer.  Let me tell you why I want to know.
The colleague I mentioned in my previous message is our Unix System
Admin.  He just built a new web-server.  Our web is dependent on
postgres for all it's database work.  We may have a strange division
of labor here.  The sys admin makes the packages.  I usually add
them, but I don't support our web server.  The Unix Admin told me
that he was going to put 8.1 on the new server, he is building
because that's the latest stable version and besides he doesn't want
to build a new postgres package there.  All of my machines that are
running postgres have 8.2.4.  I understood this to be a stable
release and I've had no trouble with it.  I was taken aback by this
other information that my colleague had given me, hence the reason
for my question.

Carol