Re: slow database

From: PC Drew <drewpc(at)ibsncentral(dot)com>
To: alemon(at)tiago(dot)hazor(dot)com(dot)br
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow database
Date: 2004-02-11 14:44:42
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Feb 11, 2004, at 7:23 AM, alemon(at)tiago(dot)hazor(dot)com(dot)br wrote:

> my data base is very slow. The machine is a processor Xeon 2GB with
> 256 MB of RAM DDR. My archive of configuration is this:

After looking through the configuration some more, I would definitely
recommend getting rid of your current postgresql.conf file and
replacing it with the default.  You have some very very odd settings,

This is dangerous, but maybe you need it:
fsync = false

You've essentially disabled the optimizer:
enable_seqscan = false
enable_indexscan = false
enable_tidscan = false
enable_sort = false
enable_nestloop = false
enable_mergejoin = false
enable_hashjoin = false

WOAH, this is huge:
random_page_cost = 1000000000

Take a look at this page which goes through each option in the
configuration file:

PC Drew
Manager, Dominet

1600 Broadway, Suite 400