RE: [GENERAL] For data based web site, which RDBMS is better & wh y ?

From: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
To: ralli(at)poboxes(dot)com, Kevin Lo <jwlo(at)ms11(dot)hinet(dot)net>
Cc: Dinesh Patil <dpatel(at)Synopsys(dot)COM>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] For data based web site, which RDBMS is better & wh y ?
Date: 1999-05-19 21:59:49
Lists: pgsql-general

The problem here is to find impartial comparisons.
The question between MySQL and PostgreSQL usually come down to
Do I care most about speed? - usually true for purely Web Apps.
or
Do I need transaction and the other features PostgreSQL offers? -
which tends to only be true if you plan on using the database for things
other than web development.

18 months ago when I went looking for a good RDBMS I chose PostgreSQL
because I knew even though all I was currently doing was Web Apps I'd need a
database that had fully functioning transactions, extensible types and
functions, ... and I could always handle speed issues through whatever
interface I choose to use (ie table caching).