Re: Using multiple cores for index creation?

From: henk de wit <henk53602(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using multiple cores for index creation?
Date: 2009-01-30 00:02:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,> You can then> pull a TOC out with pg_restore and break that appart. Reading the TOC is> pretty self evident. Once you get down to index creation you can create> multiple files each with a group of indexes to create. Then call> pg_restore multiple times in a script against the individual TOC and you> will use all cores.I figured something like this would be possible. Thanks for the explanation. Ultimately I'm looking for something more automatic though. Not that I personally mind doing the above, but when an emergency restore is needed for some production server manually editing a dump is probably not the safest course of action ;)It sounds like something though that a tool could do automatically. The mentioned patch sounds interesting too, is there anything known about whether this patch will make it into the main stream Postgres source? I guess it's too late for inclusion in PostgreSQL 8.4, but 8.5 perhaps?Kind regards
What can you do with the new Windows Live? Find out
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/default.aspx