Re: alter table tablename add column - breaks pl/pgsql function returns tablename

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)freebsd(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: alter table tablename add column - breaks pl/pgsql function returns tablename
Date: 2012-11-05 21:16:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

5 nov 2012 kl. 19:36 skrev Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Amit kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Is this very hard to fix?
>>
>>   Currently the compiled body is not discarded on DDL's, so I believe it is not a bug as per current implementation.
>>   However it can be thought of as a new feature.
>
> Seems like a bug to me.

Please note that this problem does not go away by disconnecting and reconnecting, and other sessions get the error immediately, so the claim that it is bound to a session is false.

The work-around I use now is to "create or replace function ..." with a verbatim copy of what is already the defined function. Seems stupid to me, I agree it seems like a bug.