Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Ian Barwick <ian(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date: 2014-11-13 00:54:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I agree with your proposed approach to moving Levenshtein into core.
>> However, I think this should be separated into two patches, one of
>> them moving the Levenshtein functionality into core, and the other
>> adding the new treatment for missing column errors. If you can do
>> that relatively soon, I'll make an effort to get the refactoring patch
>> committed in the near future. Once that's done, we can focus in on
>> the interesting part of the patch, which is the actual machinery for
>> suggesting alternatives.
>
> Okay, thanks. I think I can do that fairly soon.

Attached patch moves the Levenshtein distance implementation into core.

You're missing patch 2 of 2 here, because I have yet to incorporate
your feedback on the HINT itself -- when I've done that, I'll post a
newly rebased patch 2/2, with those items taken care of. As you
pointed out, there is no reason to wait for that.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
.0001-Move-Levenshtein-distance-implementation-into-core.patch.swp application/octet-stream 16.0 KB