Re: Can pg_dump make use of CURRENT/SESSION_USER

From: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can pg_dump make use of CURRENT/SESSION_USER
Date: 2015-04-28 16:07:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> >> I think we'd just change it to use the new syntax, full stop. I see
> >> no need for an option.
> >
> > I'm returning on this...
> >
> > What's the reasonable syntaxes?
> >
> > COMMENT ON CURRENT DATABASE IS 'text';
> >
> > or
> >
> > COMMENT ON DATABASE { CURRENT_DATABASE | object_name } IS 'text';
>
> The second one would require making CURRENT_DATABASE a reserved
> keyword, and I'm not keen to create any more of those. I like the
> first one. The other alternative that may be worth considering is:
>
> COMMENT ON CURRENT_DATABASE IS 'text';
>
> That doesn't require making CURRENT_DATABASE a reserved keyword, but
> it does require making it a keyword, and it doesn't look very SQL-ish.
> Still, we have a bunch of other CURRENT_FOO keywords.
>
> But I'm inclined to stick with your first proposal.

Attached the patch to support "COMMENT ON CURRENT DATABASE IS ..."
(including pg_dump).

On my next spare time I'll send the "ALTER ROLE ... IN CURRENT DATABASE"
patch.

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL
>> Timbira: http://www.timbira.com.br
>> Blog: http://fabriziomello.github.io
>> Linkedin: http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fabriziomello
>> Github: http://github.com/fabriziomello

Attachment Content-Type Size
comment_on_current_database_v1.patch text/x-diff 4.6 KB