EXPLAIN explanation

From: Binand Sethumadhavan <binand(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: EXPLAIN explanation
Date: 2012-03-30 11:09:29
Lists: pgsql-novice
Is there a comprehensive online document or printed book that explains
the EXPLAIN output? Something akin to the MySQL documentation here:

I would really like to know what EXPLAIN is telling me, and more
importantly, what it is not telling me. I have read some documents,
but none that breaks it down to pieces and explains each piece