Re: Postgres restore help

From: Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak(at)eranet(dot)pl>
To: Piyush Lenka <lenka(dot)piyush(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro(at)path(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres restore help
Date: 2012-02-28 20:13:11
Lists: pgsql-novice
This is almost perfect :)
but won't work in that case in the way You expect, because of join type.
This should be LEFT JOIN to select all from temp_table (left) and matching
from main_table (right), then WHERE clausule will  filter rows not existing
in main_table. Without USING, which is shorthand ( it
should look like this:

INSERT INTO main_table
SELECT temp_table.*
FROM temp_table
      *LEFT JOIN* main_table ON ( = /* instead
of "ON (...)" you can use Alessandro's shorthand: "USING (pk)"*/