Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE

From: Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE
Date: 2015-03-02 16:58:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2/24/15 8:28 AM, Sawada Masahiko wrote:
>>>
>>> According to the above discussion, VACUUM and REINDEX should have
>>> trailing options. Tom seems (to me) suggesting that SQL-style
>>> (bare word preceded by WITH) options and Jim suggesting '()'
>>> style options? (Anyway VACUUM gets the*third additional* option
>>> sytle, but it is the different discussion from this)
>

> Well, almost everything does a trailing WITH. We need to either stick with
> that for consistency, or add leading () as an option to those WITH commands.
>
> Does anyone know why those are WITH? Is it ANSI?
>
> As a refresher, current commands are:
>
> VACUUM (ANALYZE, VERBOSE) table1 (col1);
> REINDEX INDEX index1 FORCE;
> COPY table1 FROM 'file.txt' WITH (FORMAT csv);
> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW mv1 WITH (storageparam, ...) AS qry WITH DATA;
> CREATE EXTENSION ext1 WITH SCHEMA s1 VERSION v1 FROM over;
> CREATE ROLE role WITH LOGIN;
> GRANT .... WITH GRANT OPTION;
> CREATE VIEW v1 AS qry WITH CASCADED CHECK OPTION;
> ALTER DATABASE db1 WITH CONNECTION LIMIT 50;
> DECLARE c1 INSENSITIVE SCROLL CURSOR WITH HOLD;

We have discussed about this option including FORCE option, but I
think there are not user who want to use both FORCE and VERBOSE option
at same time.
Can we think and add new syntax without FORCE option while leaving
current Reindex statement syntax?

As prototype, I attached new version patch has the following syntax.
REINDEX { INDEX | TABLE | ... } relname [ FORCE | VERBOSE];

Regards,

-------
Sawada Masahiko

Attachment Content-Type Size
000_reindex_verbose_v2.patch application/octet-stream 13.2 KB