Re: Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Quorum commit for multiple synchronous replication.
Date: 2016-12-15 09:08:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> At Thu, 15 Dec 2016 14:20:53 +0900, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CAD21AoDn73aC+o0mrWCs800LeOsMYP4oV7xVb0T0_4V5VCQzhQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> > Silent failures for existing failover deployments is a pain to solve
>> > after doing upgrades. That's my only concern. Changing pg_wal would
>> > result in a hard failure when upgrading. And changing the meaning of
>> > the standby list (without keyword ANY or FIRST!) does not fall into
>> > that category... So yes just removing support for standby list would
>> > result in a hard failure, which would be fine for the
>> > let-s-break-all-things move.

>> > If we try to support backward compatibility, I'd personally do it
>> > fully, and have a list of standby names specified meaning a priority
>> > list.

>> > +1 on that.
>>
>> +1.
>
> FWIW, +1 from me.
>
>> I'll update the patch.

Attached latest v12 patch.
I changed behavior of "N (standby_list)" to use the priority method
and incorporated some review comments so far. Please review it.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
000_quorum_commit_v12.patch text/x-diff 26.3 KB