Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?

From: Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?
Date: 2011-07-26 08:12:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > 8.4 had this change:
> >
> >         *
> >           Force child tables to inherit CHECK constraints from parents
> >           (Alex Hunsaker, Nikhil Sontakke, Tom)
>
> > You're not the only one who occasionally bangs his head against it.

Sorry for the occasional head bumps :)

> Yeah.  I think it's good that there's a barrier to blindly dropping a
> constraint that may be important to have on children, but there should
> be a way to override that.

Hmmm, but then it does open up the possibility of naive users shooting
themselves in the foot. It can be easy to conjure up a
parent-only-constraint that does not gel too well with its children. And
that's precisely why this feature was added in the first place..

Regards,
Nikhils