Re: Adding links to alternate versions of doc pages

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding links to alternate versions of doc pages
Date: 2012-03-28 19:14:07
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 20:24, Alvaro Herrera

> Excerpts from Greg Sabino Mullane's message of mié mar 28 16:51:06 UTC 2012:

>> > What I would love love LOVE to see would be a dropdown by the
>> > "Home â Documentation â Manuals â PostgreSQL 8.3" where I'm
>> > able to choose from other versions easily. Or maybe it will
>> > be a list of other versions of this document available,
>> > hyperlinked to them.  It would also help the casual reader
>> > know that there are multiple versions of the docs on the
>> > site by making it explicitly clear through those visual
>> > signposts "Hey, this isn't the only version of this page
>> > available, and perhaps you want a more current one."
>> >
>> > I'm here to both make this suggestion as a user of the docs,
>> > and to volunteer my time to help make it happen.
>>
>> Big +1 from me.
>
> +1
>
> Need to make clear where the tweak is going to happen -- obviously the
> HTML generated from the SGML source will not contain the links.

You can add the dropdown fairly easily in the website code. However,
that assumes that no pages have *changed filenames* between versions.
Which is not true. That would either drop those versions from the
list, or generate a 404. I'm not sure how to create some sort of
mapping between versions that would actually work without being
actively maintained (and if it has to be actively maintained, it will
go out of date).

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/