Re: Forbid use of LF and CR characters in database and role names

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Forbid use of LF and CR characters in database and role names
Date: 2016-09-02 06:04:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 2:44 AM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 8/11/16 9:12 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Note that pg_dump[all] and pg_upgrade already have safeguards against
>> those things per the same routines putting quotes for execution as
>> commands into psql and shell. So attached is a patch to implement this
>> restriction in the backend,
>
> How about some documentation? I think the CREATE ROLE and CREATE
> DATABASE man pages might be suitable places.

Sure. What do you think about that?
+ <para>
+ Database names cannot include <literal>LF</> or <literal>CR</> characters
+ as those could be at the origin of security breaches, particularly on
+ Windows where the command shell is unusable with arguments containing
+ such characters.
+ </para>
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
forbid-cr-lf-v3.patch text/x-diff 4.6 KB