Re: Write Ahead Logging for Hash Indexes

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Write Ahead Logging for Hash Indexes
Date: 2016-09-25 05:00:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think here I am slightly wrong. For the full page writes, it do use
> RBM_ZERO_AND_LOCK mode to read the page and for such mode we are not
> doing page verification check and rather blindly setting the page to
> zero and then overwrites it with full page image. So after my fix,
> you will not see the error of checksum failure. I have a fix ready,
> but still doing some more verification. If everything passes, I will
> share the patch in a day or so.

Attached patch fixes the problem, now we do perform full page writes
for bitmap pages. Apart from that, I have rebased the patch based on
latest concurrent index patch [1]. I have updated the README as well
to reflect the WAL logging related information for different
operations.

With attached patch, all the review comments or issues found till now
are addressed.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2BX%3D8sUd1UCZDZnE3D9CGi9kw%2Bkjxp2Tnw7SX5w8pLBNw%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
wal_hash_index_v5.patch application/octet-stream 137.6 KB