GiST support for UUIDs

From: Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: GiST support for UUIDs
Date: 2015-06-24 18:18:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I'm interested in adding GiST support for the UUID column type from
the uuid-ossp extension. This has been requested and attempted before:

http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/83604/optimizing-postgres-row-overlap-constraints-involving-uuids-and-gist
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAH3i69njJ9AX1fzHwt6uoUzCMBqnaDBwhmAPhRQzzLWifb2WOA(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com#CAH3i69njJ9AX1fzHwt6uoUzCMBqnaDBwhmAPhRQzzLWifb2WOA@mail.gmail.com

I've used Postgres for a long time, but I've only dabbled a bit in the
source code. So I'm curious where this change would go? The btree_gist
extension? The uuid-ossp extension? Somewhere else?

If anyone has any advice I'd be grateful to hear it.

Thanks,
Paul