Re: Index build temp files

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index build temp files
Date: 2013-01-09 21:27:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 9 January 2013 21:21, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>>> I agree that this would be valuable.  Would we end up needing to burn
>>> another bit off the aclmask though?  That's certainly been a concern in
>>> the past and I don't recall that we ever improved that situation.
>
>> There already is a TEMP permission, it just only applies to databases
>> at present.
>
> This sounds like rather a lot of work to create a behavior that doesn't
> solve the originally-complained-of usability problem.  All it does is
> make things even more complicated, and add an extra step for the DBA
> who's just trying to set temp_tablespaces to something useful.

There is already an extra step to GRANT the CREATE privilege, so how
does this change things?

The whole point of the thread is that that step was omitted.

Oracle (and IIRC others) allow tablespaces to be created as TEMP, so
that nobody can put normal objects in there. That is a useful facility
and there's no way currently in Postgres of setting things up like
that. Hence the proposal.