Re: Teaching pg_receivexlog to follow timeline switches

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Teaching pg_receivexlog to follow timeline switches
Date: 2013-01-17 15:12:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> The scenario I described is that you screwed up your failover environment,
> and end up with a split-brain situation by accident. The DBA certainly needs
> to be involved to recover from that.

OK, I agree, but I still think a lot of DBAs would have no idea how to
handle that situation.  I agree with your proposal, don't get me wrong
- I just think there's still an awful lot of room for operator error
in these more complex replication scenarios.  I don't have a clue how
to fix that, and it's certainly not the purpose of this thread to fix
that; I'm just venting.

Actually, I'm really glad to see all the work you've done to improve
the way that some of these scenarios work and eliminate various bugs
and other surprising failure modes over the last couple of months.
It's great stuff.  Alas, I think we still some distance from being
able to provide an "easy button".

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company