Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation
Date: 2012-02-29 21:34:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> OK, I have implemented both Roberts and Àlvaro's ideas in my patch.
> I only add the .old suffix to pg_controldata when link mode is used, and
> I now do it after the schema has been created (the most common failure
> case for pg_upgrade), and just before we actually link files --- both
> very good ideas.

Thanks for working on this.  I think this will be a significant
usability improvement.

Any ideas about improving the error reporting more generally, so that
when reloading the dump fails, the user can easily see what went
belly-up, even if they didn't use -l?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company