Re: contrib/sepgsql regression tests are a no-go

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/sepgsql regression tests are a no-go
Date: 2011-09-26 04:47:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Then we
>> could get rid of the associated configure option, which no longer
>> serves any other purpose, and just say that if you want to build (or
>> regression-test) sepgsql, well, you gotta go to that directory and do
>> it by hand.
>
> The trouble with getting rid of configure support is that we lose the
> opportunity to verify that you have a new-enough version of libselinux.
> That's maybe not a big deal, but it's a point worth noting.

I suppose the main downside there is that you will get a more cryptic
error message if it isn't new enough.

On the other hand, even if you don't use --with-selinux, you can still
do "make -C contrib/sepgsql" and you'll have the same problem, so I'm
not sure that we're really heavily shielded against a failure of this
type as it is.

Perhaps we could remove --with-selinux, but *always* test whether we
have a new enough version of selinux.  If we don't, we set it up so
that configure succeeds anyway, but any attempt to build sepgsql
fails?  (Not sure if there's a clean way to do that.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company