Re: proposal: additional error fields

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: additional error fields
Date: 2012-05-01 14:25:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have to goals for 9.3. First goal is plpgsql_check_function, second
> goal is enhancing ErrorData and error management to support new
> previous discussion  is in thread

I have some concerns about the performance cost of this.  Now, you may
think that this is a dumb thing to be concerned about, but some
testing I've done seems to indicate that MOST of the cost of rolling
back a subtransaction is the cost of generating the error string, and
this is why PL/pgsql exception blocks are slow, and I actually do
think that the slowness of PL/pgsql exception blocks is a real issue
for users.  It certainly has been for me, in the past.  So adding 9
more fields that will have to be populated on every error whether
someone cares about them or not is a little scary to me.  If, on the
other hand, we can arrange to generate these fields only when they'll
be used, that would be a lot more appealing, and obviously we might be
able to apply the same technique to the error message itself, which
would be neat, too.

Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company