Pre-allocate space in advance

From: "Tomeh, Husam" <htomeh(at)firstam(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Pre-allocate space in advance
Date: 2005-10-31 23:14:13
Lists: pgsql-admin
I apologize for the wrong subject in a previous post. Here it is again:

  My understanding that the current release of Postgres does not allow
the DBA to pre-allocated space for the data files or tablespace in
advance (as Oracle or SQL Server does). Am I correct on that ? If that's
still the case, is this item on the TODO list or the white board?
Pre-allocating space will prevent extending the datafile during loading
massive data (batch processing) and would improve the overall batch
write performance.

Thanks in advance.

--
 Husam

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

This message contains confidential information intended only for the
use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that
is legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby
notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this
message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by
mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and
delete the original message immediately thereafter.

Thank you.                                       FADLD Tag

pgsql-admin by date