Re: Invalid Page Headers

From: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Invalid Page Headers
Date: 2006-04-18 19:45:33
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Apr 18, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com> writes:
>> I would've expected the RAID to protect postgres from the possibility
>> of data corruption, but I guess not.
>
> Ooops :-(.  It might be interesting to get pg_filedump dumps of the
> corrupted pages, just to see what the failure pattern looks like.
> I doubt there's much we can do about it, but you don't know till you
> look.  ("If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be
> research.")

I'm still looking into what actually caused the hardware failures and
how it could've reached a level where it would've affected postgres.

I'll grab pg_filedump and report back.

In the meantime, should I leave the database online while I attempt
to recover? It's still unclear to me whether postgres will restart
with invalid page headers. I certainly can't run pg_dumpall, for
instance.

I'm glad that there have so far been only 3 relations affected... :(

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Database Architecture and Programming

http://www.sitening.com/