Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data

From: Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Childs <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data
Date: 2009-04-22 03:19:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, David Fetter wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:15:00PM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
>> Hmm Interestingly OSM have just switched from MySQL to PostgreSQL.
>
> Can we get somebody from OSM to talk about this on the record?

I've forwarded this request the to the OSM talk list. Hopefully someone who
can talk 'on the record' will step forward.

The master OSM database used for editing used to by MySQL but most of the
map rendering was done from Postgis hosted data. Over the weekend they
switched ,as part of an API upgrade, the main editing database
to Postgresql (but still not using complex geometry types).

I think the reasoning had to do with them wanting transactions and the
switch to InnoDB brought has some downsides, but I don't know which of the
innodb downsides motivated the switch.

I think the reference to MonetDB was part of an April fools joke.

Steve