vacuum ran out of space and now i cant get back into db

From: "Pam Eggler" <peggler(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: vacuum ran out of space and now i cant get back into db
Date: 2005-02-03 16:03:34
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I noticed I was running low on space on my system, so I found this vacuum
command. I ran it and it failed because it ran out of space:

vacuum mytable;
FATAL 2: ZeroFill failed to write
/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/xlogtemp.23895: No space left on device
before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: NOTICE: Message
from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

I cleared out that dir and then tried to go back into my database and I get
this error:

psql fsp
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Help?