Re: Hardware requirements

From: "Rafael Montoya" <rafo-mm(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware requirements
Date: 2005-09-29 07:20:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Ok, there are about 15 concurrent clients inserting and updating data, and
20 concurrent clients only consulting.
I dont need all data in ram, of course, hehe, but i really have no idea
what's the minimum of ram for having fast answers for about 2000
transactions in a day.
Almost all queries need to read more than 7 or 8 tables each time.
It will work in a Windows 2000 Server. I need to know whats the appropiate
hardware, because im sure its not necessary to buy a powerful server if a
not so powerful one can have a good performance too. I will really
appreciate any help.
Rafael Montoya

>From: Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
>To: "Rafael Montoya" <rafo-mm(at)hotmail(dot)com>
>CC: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Hardware requirements
>Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:30:06 -0700
>
>Unless you need all that data in ram (and you probably don't), then any
>machine should be capable. The real questions are, how many concurrent
>clients? How static is the data? What is your query complexity?
>
>On Sep 28, 2005, at 11:08 PM, Rafael Montoya wrote:
>
>>Hello everybody, i really need to know hardware requirements for
>>installing PostgreSQL 8.0.3.
>>I'm in a database migration project and it is important to work with the
>>appropiate hardware.
>>DB must work in windows. There are 50 tables aprox and data size is near
>>6 GB. Thank for your answers.
>>Rafael Montoya

>>Dale rienda suelta a tu tiempo libre. Encuentra mil ideas para exprimir
>>tu ocio con MSN Entretenimiento. http:// entretenimiento.msn.es/

>>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Descubre la descarga digital con MSN Music. Más de medio millón de
canciones. http://music.msn.es/