OpenRPT (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 24 2005 ==)

From: Ned Lilly <ned(at)nedscape(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: OpenRPT (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 24 2005 ==)
Date: 2005-04-25 15:02:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-announce pgsql-general

David Fetter wrote:

> == PostgreSQL Product News ==
>
> OpenRPT is a graphical SQL report writer, designer and rendering
> engine, optimized for PostgreSQL. WYSIWYG display, GUI built with Qt,
> runs on Linux, Windows, Mac OS X. Server-side rendering engine.
> Reports can be saved as XML, either as files or in a database.
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/openrpt/

Dave, thanks for the plug - and thanks to everyone who's expressed an interest in OpenRPT so far. It seems there are still some performance issues with pgFoundry (pending setup of new servers?) - so for now, we're going to do our best not to contribute to the load, and point people to OpenRPT's home on SourceForge, where the iron is big and the pipes fat:

http://openrpt.sf.net/

We're very interested in engaging with the PostgreSQL community to help make OpenRPT better. For those who aren't familiar with us, the OpenRPT project has spun out of an ERP application called OpenMFG. I'm the CEO of OpenMFG LLC, the company; I was previously one of the founders of Great Bridge, a first-generation Postgres company that was a casualty of the dot-com boom/bust cycle four years ago. I formed OpenMFG to bring a Postgres-based ERP system to market (www.openmfg.com) ... and along the way, part of what we built with our ERP was a multiplatform report writer.

The OpenMFG ERP Suite is inexpensive but not free; source code provided and patches accepted, but not OSI-certified "open source." We decided that the report writer level of the "stack" was different, however, and decided to release OpenRPT under the GPL for anyone and everyone who wants to abide by the terms of the GPL. For those who would like to "opt out" of the GPL, we also offer a commercial license. For more on the licensing, as well as downloads, CVS, screenshots, docs, project info, etc., please check out the project homepage at http://openrpt.sf.net.

Thanks very much,
Ned

--
Ned Lilly