Re: Switchover of Master and Slave roles

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: A J <s5aly(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Switchover of Master and Slave roles
Date: 2011-06-08 01:51:25
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:59 AM, A J <s5aly(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> Ok. So if I understand it correctly, as far as Postgres is concerned the
> 'mirror is broken'. It is a one-time cutover.
> We then rely on filesystem tools (or other third party tools) to get the
> original master in sync with the new master efficiently and then make it
> join as slave.

If the standby is completely sync with the master when failover happens,
and if those two servers share the archive area, you can start new standby
without taking a fresh base backup. You can do that by setting
recovery_target_timeline to 'latest' in the recovery.conf and just starting
new standby.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao