Re: Changing the continuation-line prompt in psql?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing the continuation-line prompt in psql?
Date: 2011-04-29 18:06:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The "bike shedding" that I'd rather have would involve enclosing
> prompts with /* comments */ so that cut'n'paste could be expected to
> generate output that could run, without further editing, in another
> psql session.  Mind you, whenever I have configured such, I have been
> unhappy at how wide that makes the prompt and at the loss of screen
> space.

I would second this precise interest. It really annoys me more often
than anything else that when I try to copy/paste an sql query I need
to copy each line one by one. It would be different from MySql but I
think it would be even clearer to the user:

postgres=> select 1,
/*line 2:*/        2,
/*line 3:*/        3;
 ?column? | ?column? | ?column?