Re: Backing up and pg_dump options

From: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>
To: Brent Dombrowski <brent(dot)dombrowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backing up and pg_dump options
Date: 2011-06-21 18:33:16
Lists: pdxpug
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Brent Dombrowski
<brent(dot)dombrowski(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently started a summer job upgrading a PostGIS installation from Postgres 8.2 to 9.0. In the course of this upgrade, I needed the pg_dump with the -Fc custom option. This was required for the PostGIS upgrade script. That worked well. However, it has now raised questions about how to do weekly backups. Currently, the backups are in the plain pg_dump format (-Fp, the default). I'd like to know which format is considered the norm and get a feel for what other people are doing.

Custom format for dumps is totally kosher. It also has the advantage
of enabling you to do restores of a single table or relation at a
time.

Your best bet: test your dump/restore with the -Fc and make sure it
works. You only have valid restores, not valid backups.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com