How to clear log files

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to clear log files
Date: 2010-02-03 21:12:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

PostgreSql:8.4.1

Is there a way for me to tell postgres to clear the log file. Example:
I have log files created with names corresponding to the days of the
week. This way they overwrite each other every week. When I deploy
software enhancements I would like to clear the log file for the day
without having to stop postgres. This way anything I see I know was
after the deployment of my enhancements. I tried to just delete the
file with postgres running. I found that it did not recreate the log
file so I was forced to restart postgres.

Is there a command that might clear a log file or force it to rotate?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Software Architect/DBA/Project Manager

Web Services at Public Affairs