Re: Obsolete description in pg_ctl-ref.sgml

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Obsolete description in pg_ctl-ref.sgml
Date: 2010-12-14 21:35:28
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> The above also seems to be obsolete, thanks to recently-introduced
>>> PQping. Can we remove that?
>>
>> Should we remove only the first sentence and keep the second one, or
>> is it more appropriate to remove the whole thing?
>
> At least the reference to section 31.14 is needless since password
> authentication doesn't affect the pg_ctl -w for now. But, on the second
> thought, it can still fail because of miss-configuration of connection
> variable, for example PGHOST.

I thought PQping() was supposed to handle that correctly.  There are
four return values: PQPING_OK, PQPING_REJECT, PQPING_NO_RESPONSE,
PQPING_NO_ATTEMPT.  I believe the last is intended to cover blatant
misconfiguration.  Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're
referring to.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company