Re: Synchronous replication - patch status inquiry

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, fazool mein <fazoolmein(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Synchronous replication - patch status inquiry
Date: 2010-09-01 01:02:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:45 PM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
>> I am pretty sure, however, that the performance will be terrible at
>> this point.  Heikki is working on fixing that, but it ain't done
>> yet.
>
> Is this something for an eDB feature, or for community PostgreSQL,
> or...?

It's an EDB feature in the sense that Heikki is developing it as part
of his employment with EDB, but it will be committed to community
PostgreSQL.  See the thread on interruptible sleeps.  The problem
right now is that there are some polling loops that act to throttle
the maximum rate at which a node doing sync rep can make forward
progress, independent of the capabilities of the hardware.  Those need
to be replaced with a system that doesn't inject unnecessary delays
into the process, which is what Heikki is working on.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company