Re: Obsolete description in pg_ctl-ref.sgml

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Obsolete description in pg_ctl-ref.sgml
Date: 2010-12-17 01:57:31
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Hmm.  I'm inclined to just remove that sentence.  The fact that you
>> can make the operation fail by pointing it at someplace where there's
>> not a server listening doesn't really seem to merit a disclaimer.  I
>> think waiting IS a well-defined operation now; it just won't succeed
>> if you configure it in a way that doesn't make sense.
> +1

On further review, removing only the first sentence doesn't seem very
sensible - one of the two links is also present just a few lines up,
and mentioning just the other one with no context seems pointless.  So
I'm just going to remove the whole paragraph.

Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company