postgresql question

From: Dennis Hoffman <dennis(dot)hoffman(at)seagate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql question
Date: 2011-01-21 21:19:25
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello:

     I am running Postgres version 7.4.13 on a Linux CentOS box with kernel
version 2.6.9-67.0.7
I have a process running under a user ( "merlin" ) that needs access to the
data base ( to calculate the DB size ).  I have added the "merlin" user as a
member of the postgres group, and changed the file group permissions ( I.E.
/var/lib/pgsql/data/base ) to 750 from 700.  this allows the "merlin" user's
process to access the DB files.  However - and this is the problem - after
changing the file permissions, the Postmaster won't start.  The indication
is that it does'nt know where to find the database system data.  I provide a
path ( using the -D option ), and then the indication is that it can not
read the permission of the directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/171142.  If I
do nothing other than remove the file permissions ( change back to 700 from
750 ), the Postmaster starts just as it should.  Why does the Postmaster not
start with the group permissions changed?  Is this a bug?  What can I do?

TIA
Dennis

pgsql-admin by date