Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies

From: Kevin Hunter <hunteke(at)earlham(dot)edu>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Date: 2007-06-20 14:26:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

At 4:35p -0400 on 19 Jun 2007, Lance Campbell wrote:
> The parameters I would think we should calculate are:
> max_connections
> shared_buffers
> work_mem
> maintenance_work_mem
> effective_cache_size
> random_page_cost

From an educational/newb standpoint, I notice that the page
currently spews out a configuration file completely in line with
what's currently there, comments and all. May I suggest highlighting
what has been altered, perhaps above or below the textbox? It would
make it immediately obvious, and easier to add an explanation of the
thought process involved. Something like

What's changed from the default:

<li>
number of concurrent connections Postgres will allow.</p>
</li>
<li>
needs. Postgres uses this for ...</p>
</li>

Not something that necessarily needs to be spelled out in the .conf
file, but would, IMVHO, help minimally educate.

Kevin