PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Date: 2007-06-19 16:23:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

Please read the whole email before replying:

I love the feedback I have received but I feel that somehow I did not
communicate the intent of this mini project very well. So let me
outline a few basics and who the audience was intended for.

Mini project title:

Initial Configuration Tool for PostgreSQL for Dummies

1) This is intended for newbie's. Not for experienced users or advanced
DBAs.

2) This tool is NOT intended to monitor your PostgreSQL efficiency.

3) I suggested JavaScript because most people that get started with
PostgreSQL will go to the web in order to find out about issues relating
to configuration. I wanted a very simple way for people to access the
tool that would not be tied to any particular environment or OS. If
there is someone that is using a text browser to view the web then they
are probably geeky enough not to want to bother with using this tool.

4) The intent is just to give people that have no clue a better starting
point than some very generic defaults.

Please think simple. I stress the word simple. The real challenge here
is getting the formulas correct. Someone mentioned to not focus on the
values but just get something out there for everyone to help tweak. I
agree!

What questions do you think should be asked in order to figure out what
values should go into the formulas for the configuration suggestions?

My thoughts:

What version of PostgreSQL are you using?

How much memory will be available to PostgreSQL?

How many connections will be made to PostgreSQL?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs