Re: What's left?

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>, ''Merlin Moncure' ' <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, 'pgsql-hackers-win32 ' <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: 'PostgreSQL-development ' <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What's left?
Date: 2004-01-23 01:30:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

Some fool wrote:
> It will then be a matter of fixing things like:
> * installation directory issues (/usr/local/pgsql/bin won't work too
> well outside of the MingW environment :-)
> * general directory handling (ie. whitespaces in directory names;
> forward/backslash path canonicalization)
> * sync issues
> * any missing structs/items in shared memory
> * generally, running the test suite, and fixing whatever is busted (I'm
> at 41 tests passing now :-)

One important thing I forgot, that someone could start looking at now:
* backends keeping files open when other backends are trying to
delete/rename them

The port I wrote for here at work simply modified the functions in dirmod.c,
to attempt the delete (or rename), and, on a failure identifiable as being
presumably due to another process holding the file open, simply schedules
the file for deletion at system start time using the Win32 API for doing so
(hey, it is Windows, it is going to reboot sooner or later :-). In the case
of rename, just copies the existing file and schedules the original for
deletion.

Ugly, and sometimes slow where we'd rather not be, but it gets us by.

We must do better for the official port, and whilst better solutions are
obviously conceivable, AFAICS they will require some amount of backend
changes and therefore consent from main list. Someone might want to start
looking at a nice, clean solution to this.

Cheers,
Claudio

---
<a